Thursday, August 30, 2012

Why Buy a Mac?

As a former film student I was trained to work on macs.  The power and graphics (provided by Intel) run any professional program like a dream.  Of course, The Sims works smoothly as well, especially when performing social experiments...yes...lots of stress relieving social experiments. Anyway, my photography editing programs for photos works great, but that's because it's a $300 program.  The only reason I even have it is because it was a present. 

The key problem with macs, especially the newer ones, is that they support nothing.  New macs have taken away all of the special ports used for external devices, making you spend more to get the adapters.  Then there's my biggest problem: they do not support powerpc programs.  That means no open source programs or any of the free programs to help me get my work out there.

I had a really nice Final Cut Pro set, but my previous mac last about 15 minutes before overheating and shutting down.  The program is supported by my new mac, however the actual installation program.....IS NOT.  Apple wont respond to anything.  Basically I have over $300 of programing that is now useless and the only way to get things done the way I was professionally taught...is to spend 300 more dollars.  I spent 3 hours trying to find a program online to at least produce quality video until I can get a steady income, but my mac rejected every type of program.  The only thing that does run is the installed imovie; which by comparison is great for home videos, but not the movies I want.  I ended up getting so stressed that I didn't sleep at all.  I got way to frustrated with my situation.

One good thing I've started up again is relearning my animation program.  I would love to do animations and music videos, so I really wanted to relearn the old program.  Luckily my mac actually let's me use it.  It runs really well, but I am still very disappointed in apple and they changes they've made.  It's too much about getting more money in underhanded ways and less about customer satisfaction.  They've taken away almost all the reasons to even own a mac.  I'll never get a iphone or any other apple product.  I'm just waiting for the new Intel phone to reach the states!

So why buy a mac now?  Apple isn't doing a good job of giving me answers.  I would love for them to get me my money back for my useless program.

Sorry for the rant, but I've calmed down a lot since last night.  Sometimes I just need to vent.


No comments:

Post a Comment