Sunday, August 19, 2012

WRITING: In Which I Build My Vocabulary

I was up way to late the other night building my vocabulary. When I write I sometimes get in the habit of using the same words over rand over. To get over that I am trying even harder to build my vocabulary and my ability to come up with better word on the spot as I write.

Of course when I get stuck I tend to go to Thesaurus.com. It's been great for when I cant think of the word I was trying to write.

What really keeps me up and helps me with vocab are word games:




I am getting better and better at this game,  but since it's two or more players, I don't get a lot of time to play. Plus, I don't think my boyfriend will play with me anymore after totally destroying him several games in a row.

I have a Hoyle Puzzle game program on my computer. I was up late playing some of the games like:

 ANAGRAMS

CROSSWORDS


WORDOX    kind of like Scrabble only you steal points by using other players words


WORD YACHT   my personal favorite, like Yahtzee, but you roll letters instead of numbers





 I got words flowing in my mind like mad now. The only warning with these is never do them right before bed. Man my dreams were messed up and filled with word games. It was actually really annoying and quite lacking in restfulness. At least I feel really good about my novel! The flow goes so much better when I actually have the perfects words I want!!




No comments:

Post a Comment