Sunday, August 5, 2012

WRITING: Let's Play with Blocks- Writing Blocks


Since I'm on the subject of blocks. Why not go for writing blocks. After all, just the other day I was suffering from a massive writing block. I was actually getting pretty frustrated and stressed out, until I was driving late at night and inspiration struck me like a blow over the head with a heavy pipe from a serial murderer who then proceeded to burry me. After I dug myself up I had the fantastic idea for a short story. All it took was a 40 minute drive home from Wyoming and an empty road. Here are the first paragraphs that I came up with inspired by what little there was (also a great lead into some tips for conquering writers block):

   'The empty road stretched out further and further until the mile-markers and asphalt faded into the black sky. There were no stars, only a blood moon. Ark and Relena let the cool night air that flowed through the windows play with their hair.
   Tribal music flowed from the car into the empty landscape. Ark kept it on because Relena said that the music and the empty sky made her feel as if she could astral project into a giant eagle, soaring the currents in front of her human body. Ark like to imagine he was a wolf, or would like to imagine, if he wasn't paying attention to the road.'

It was a very quiet drive home because I didn't want to forget the ideas (I forgot to bring a notebook in case inspiration strikes me). The story does go on, but it's not finished yet and I kinda have some plans for entering it in some contests. Just don't steal my ideas! I get really paranoid sometimes. Though I will say this story is a horror with a twist, and no it does not involve truck drivers or drunk college students.

Anyway, here are some things that really help me when I can't write:

  1. Music
Music is a great way to get the old imagination flowing. I would recommend listening to something without lyrics. At the time I came out of my last block I was listening to tribal music. Close your eyes and try to imagine a scene or story to go along with the melody. Try to think and then describe it in your mind, picking out the details. What you come up with could get you some great ideas for what you are working with, give your story rhythm so it reads better, and enhance your descriptions.

  1. Dream Journal
A lot of great writers will tell you to keep a journal of some sort to keep track of ideas and thoughts. I keep a dream journal. Dreams are fantastical, random and strange; everything you need to entice a reader. Even the most random or short dream is worth writing down. Once I started writing my dreams down I found I could remember them better. A short paragraph description became several pages. My dreams themselves even became more like full-length movies. 90% of my writing ideas come from my dreams. Make sure to keep a notebook and pen right next to your bed though, because after a dream you become like a human etch-a-sketch.

  1. Listen to Conversations
Dialog is very important. If you are a writer I'm sure you don't need to be told that. But if you don't get out and listen to various people and how they talk, then the only dialog you'll have will be based of off television and/or internet media. You can't get good wording by pulling from something that is already scripted. Your work will end up being flat and fake. Even I suffer a lot from this now that I am unemployed, but just going out to a restaurant and eavesdropping a bit helps you get a natural flow to your words. Bring a notebook and joke some dialogs down. One of my favorite short stories was just born from a conversation between two old roommates. Test your dialog writing skills by writing a short story with only dialog and nothing else!

  1. Just Write
Just like the title says, just write. Write about anything. If you are stuck on an essay, think about something that interests you and write a small paragraph. For a story, invent an character or write using someone you know as the star. Describe things around you. Just write about anything. You wont get better if you stop cold turkey. Don't even worry if it's good or not. Write and it sill eventually come to you.

  1. Magnetic Poetry
Now don't tell me you've never written something funny or entertaining with magnetic poetry. Make a fun phrase or poem. Believe it or not, but it helps get you writing again by taking away some of the work for you. I have a kitty themed set on my fridge:

Kissing sweat off me
Gives me calico dreams
Curled up in your chest.

Or

Mischievous little creature
Much like a tiger
Runs wildly through my head

Not Shakespeare, but who cares; its still a lot of fun.


  1. Grammar
Okay, so it's not really a writing block tip, but if you're writing sucks because of bad grammar, then even you wont want to write it let alone have people read it. I know I suck at grammar, and because of that, I often get frustrated with my own writing. I've been getting better. Try having a close friends or family member read over your work and mark all the spots that have the wrong structure or spelling. Don't have then change it, but look at the mistakes you make and grow from it. And try not to write in txt speak! Texting is no excuse to have poor grammar. I hear so many complaints from old professors on how they give out poor grades to creative writers because they write like they text.



That's all for now, folks. Go out and write something fantastic! If I think of more things that help me I'll be sure to pass them along, but until then, I have my own stuff to work on.


1 comment:

  1. OOO blood moon bad omen. (i seriously dont go out on blood moon nights and if i do i am always super cautious.)

    oo the listening to conversations tip is a really good one!!!

    ReplyDelete